– About Attorney David Maletta –
Listen to This Page:
David Maletta is a widely respected criminal defense attorney with over 23 years of experience. David graduated from Northern Arizona University, Magna Cum Laude in 1993 with a degree in Psychology. Shortly thereafter, he earned his Juris Doctor degree from Seton Hall University School of Law in 1998. Following law school, he became a prosecutor with the Arizona Attorney General’s Office. While working as a prosecutor, he felt that the punishments were too severe and that some of the defendants were not being defended aggressively enough. That is when he decided to become a criminal defense attorney. David has been a criminal defense lawyer for over 20 years.
As a former prosecutor and recognized trial attorney, David has worked on over 1,000 cases and has done approximately 100 trials with great success. He has extensive experience in criminal and DUI matters. He has handled matters ranging from homicide, sexually-based offenses, domestic violence, and white-collar crimes, to DUIs and various misdemeanor crimes. David is an exceptional and well-respected trial attorney.
Among his many case victories, he once represented a Felony Aggravated DUI defendant that had a .461 BAC—almost 6 times the legal limit—and was able to obtain a not guilty verdict on all charges at jury trial.
David has overturned Arizona laws through his appellate victories, including obtaining published decisions from the Arizona Court of Appeals, which created new case law. He has also taught other Arizona lawyers trial strategies and tactics through Continuing Legal Education (CLE) seminars.
David loves his dog Sydney and does MMA to stay in shape. His energetic presence is contagious and carries into his courtroom performance.
- Arizona, 1999
- New Jersey, 1998
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 2001
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1998
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- Juris Doctor – 1998
- Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, Arizona
- Bachelor of Science – 1993
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Major: Psychology
Honors and Awards
- Clients’ Choice Award, AVVO, 2019, 2020, 2021
- 10.0 Top Lawyer Rating, Justia Lawyer Rating and Reviews System, 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated
- 10.0 Top Lawyer Rating, AVVO, 2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Arizona, Member, 1999 to Present
- National College for Criminal Defense (NCDD), Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), Present
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1998 to Present
- New Jersey Bar Association, 1998 to Present
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2001 to Present
- Arizona Attorneys for Criminal Justice (AACJ), Present