Can I Sue Someone for a Road Rage Accident
– CALL FOR IMMEDIATE HELP (602) 825-2500 –
Listen To This Page:
- What is Considered “Road Rage” in Arizona
- What is the Difference Between Road Rage and Aggressive Driving
- Legal Grounds for Suing in Road Rage Cases
- Compensation in Road Rage Accident Lawsuits
- Proving Liability in Road Rage Accidents
- The Role of Insurance in Road Rage Accidents
- How a Car Accident Attorney Can Help in Road Rage Accident Cases
Road rage accidents can be a terrifying experience, leaving victims with physical injuries and emotional trauma. If you have been involved in a road rage incident, you may be wondering if you can sue the at-fault driver for your damages. The answer is yes, you may be able to pursue legal action and seek compensation for your losses.
The answer is yes, you may be able to pursue legal action and seek compensation for your losses.
At Colburn Hintze Maletta, we understand the complexities of road rage accidents and the impact they can have on victims and their families. Our firm specializes in personal injury cases and is here to help you. If you have been injured in a road rage incident, our experienced attorneys can provide you with a free consultation to discuss your case and determine if you are entitled to compensation.
What is Considered “Road Rage” in Arizona
Road rage refers to aggressive or violent behavior stemming from a driver’s uncontrolled anger at the actions of another motorist.
It’s a dangerous behavior that can escalate quickly and lead to serious accidents or confrontations. Understanding the nature and examples of road rage is important for all drivers, as it helps in recognizing and avoiding potentially hazardous situations.
- Nature of Road Rage: Road rage is characterized by an aggressive response to a real or perceived driving slight or grievance. It’s often impulsive and reactionary, where drivers let their anger over a traffic incident manifest in aggressive actions.
- Examples of Road Rage Behaviors: Common examples include:
- Tailgating: Following another car too closely, especially in anger or frustration.
- Yelling or Making Obscene Gestures: Shouting at another driver or using hand signals to express anger.
- Cutting Off Other Vehicles: Intentionally moving a vehicle in front of another to block or slow them down.
- Honking in Aggression: Using the car horn excessively to express annoyance or anger.
- Brake Checking: Slowing down abruptly to startle or retaliate against a tailgater.
- Confrontation: Stopping the car to argue with or physically confront another driver.
- Using a Vehicle as a Weapon: Deliberately hitting or attempting to hit another vehicle.
If you encounter a road rage driver, you’re advised to stay calm, avoid engaging with the driver, and, if necessary, report the incident to law enforcement.
What is the Difference Between Road Rage and Aggressive Driving
Road rage and aggressive driving are often confused but distinct in terms of their definition, behavior, and legal consequences.
- Definition and Nature:
- Aggressive Driving: This is primarily a traffic violation and includes a range of dangerous driving practices. Aggressive driving behaviors are typically reckless or negligent but not necessarily aimed at harming others.
- Road Rage: This escalates to a criminal offense. It involves intentional, aggressive actions directed at another driver, often with the intent to harm or intimidate.
- Behavioral Examples:
- Aggressive Driving Examples: Speeding, abrupt lane changes, running red lights, and tailgating.
- Road Rage Examples: Deliberately cutting off another car, forcing a driver off the road, physical altercations, or using a vehicle as a weapon against another driver.
- Legal Charges and Penalties:
- Aggressive Driving Penalties: Generally results in traffic citations, which could lead to fines, points on a driver’s license, or mandatory driving courses.
- Road Rage Consequences: Can lead to criminal charges such as assault, reckless endangerment, or even vehicular homicide in extreme cases. The penalties are significantly harsher and can include jail time, hefty fines, and a permanent criminal record.
The distinction between aggressive driving and road rage lies in the intent and the target of the behavior.
While aggressive driving is dangerous and can lead to accidents, road rage is a targeted aggression towards another individual, making it a more serious offense with greater legal implications.
Legal Grounds for Suing in Road Rage Cases
Lawsuits for victims of a road rage incident are typically based on proving intentional torts or negligence resulting from the aggressor’s actions.
Here are some scenarios where a lawsuit might be viable:
- Intentional Physical Assault: If an aggressor physically assaults another driver during a road rage incident, the victim can sue for battery, a clear case of an intentional tort.
- Using a Vehicle as a Weapon: A driver intentionally ramming their car into another due to anger presents grounds for a lawsuit, as it’s an intentional and harmful action.
- Reckless Driving Leading to an Accident: Aggressive tailgating that results in a collision can lead to a negligence lawsuit, as the aggressor’s reckless driving causes injuries and vehicle damage.
- Throwing Objects at Another Vehicle: This act, leading to injury or property damage, can result in a lawsuit for the intentional act of property damage and personal injury.
- Forcing a Car Off the Road: Forcing a vehicle off the road, causing it to crash, can lead to a lawsuit for endangering others’ safety.
In each instance, the lawsuit’s viability depends on the aggressor’s intentional or negligent actions causing harm, providing clear grounds for legal action in road rage incidents.
Compensation in Road Rage Accident Lawsuits
Victims of road rage incidents may seek compensation through legal action, and understanding the types of damages they can claim is essential.
Compensation in these lawsuits typically covers both tangible and intangible losses.
- Medical Expenses:
- Covers all healthcare costs related to injuries sustained in the road rage incident, including hospital bills, medication, physical therapy, and any future medical care.
- Lost Wages and Earning Capacity:
- Compensation for time off work and lost earning potential due to injuries. This includes both current lost wages and projected future earnings if the victim is unable to return to their previous employment.
- Property Damage:
- Reimbursement for repair or replacement of the vehicle and any other personal property damaged during the incident.
- Pain and Suffering:
- Compensation for physical pain and emotional distress caused by the road rage incident. This can include anxiety, depression, PTSD, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive Damages:
- In cases where the aggressor’s behavior is particularly egregious, punitive damages may be awarded. These are intended to punish the wrongdoer and deter similar conduct in the future.
- Legal Fees and Court Costs:
- Some settlements or court awards may also include compensation for the victim’s legal expenses.
Each road rage case is unique, and the amount and type of compensation will depend on the specific circumstances and the severity of the damages incurred.
An experienced personal injury attorney can help assess the full extent of damages and ensure that victims receive fair compensation.
Proving Liability in Road Rage Accidents
To prove liability in road rage accidents, several key steps are important:
- Negligence or Intentional Misconduct: Demonstrate that the aggressor’s actions were either negligent or intentionally harmful.
- Evidence Collection: Gather crucial evidence such as traffic camera footage, dashcam videos, eyewitness statements, and police reports.
- Scene Analysis: Use physical evidence from the accident scene, including skid marks and vehicle damages.
- Eyewitness Testimony: Obtain statements from witnesses to corroborate the sequence of events and the aggressor’s behavior.
- Expert Insights: Employ accident reconstruction experts to analyze the incident and provide professional opinions.
- Police Reports and Charges: Leverage police reports and any criminal charges filed against the aggressor to strengthen the liability claim.
The Role of Insurance in Road Rage Accidents
Insurance in road rage incidents often involves a detailed examination of the circumstances surrounding the event. Auto insurance policies generally cover accidents stemming from negligence, but this may not extend to intentional acts typical of road rage.
Auto insurance policies generally cover accidents stemming from negligence, but this may not extend to intentional acts typical of road rage.
If an incident is categorized under road rage, it’s possible that standard auto insurance policies might not provide coverage. The aggressor’s liability insurance may cover damages and injuries inflicted on the victim unless the act is identified as intentional, placing it outside the policy’s coverage.
The aggressor’s liability insurance may cover damages and injuries inflicted on the victim unless the act is identified as intentional, placing it outside the policy’s coverage.
For victims, if the aggressor is uninsured or their insurance doesn’t cover the incident, their own uninsured motorist coverage could be a source of compensation. Filing a claim for a road rage incident can be a challenging process, with insurance companies investigating to determine coverage applicability.
In such situations, it’s often beneficial for those involved to seek advice from professionals experienced in handling insurance claims related to road rage accidents.
How a Car Accident Attorney Can Help in Road Rage Accident Cases
A car accident attorney plays a crucial role in road rage accident cases, offering expertise and guidance through the legal process. They specialize in gathering and analyzing evidence, determining liability, and quantifying damages to ensure fair compensation for victims. Skilled in negotiating with insurance companies, attorneys can counter low settlement offers or claim denials, particularly in complex cases like road rage. If the case goes to court, an attorney’s representation is invaluable, increasing the likelihood of a favorable outcome. Additionally, they advise on the best legal course of action, whether it involves settling or proceeding to trial.
For those involved in road rage incidents, consulting with a car accident attorney, such as the professionals at Colburn Hintze Maletta, can significantly impact the case’s resolution. For legal assistance, they can be contacted via their website at https://www.chmlaw.com/contact-us/ or by phone at (602) 825-2500.
Attorney Darin Colburn has experienced first-hand just how difficult going through a family law matter such as divorce is when his parents divorced when he was 6 years old. Twenty years later, he has devoted his entire legal career to helping those facing similar issues. Darin attended the University of Arizona and graduated Cum Laude from the Eller College of Management. Darin is an experienced trial attorney that excels in high-net-worth divorce, complex business valuations, and messy child custody disputes.
Always Available 24/7 for Legal Help
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Call Us Now to Speak with an Attorney (602) 825-2500
Real Client Reviews
Below are just a few of what our clients have to say!
“Nothing but good things to say about my experience.”
I have nothing but good things to say about my experience working with David Maletta. I was in a very high-stress situation facing a pending DUI charge. He doesn’t know this, but I actually interviewed 5 potential lawyers, and he was the most optimistic of all of them. He took over and handled everything, and now I don’t have to live with a DUI. Thank you so much for everything! Highly recommend them to anyone looking for legal help.
Lauren Koontz - Google Review
“Very professional, very empathetic, and very responsive to all the issues.”
I had the opportunity to work with Darin during a very troublesome time in my life. As a family attorney, I found him to be very professional, very empathetic, and very responsive to all the issues I faced. I would recommend him to anyone without a second thought. Thank you, Darin!
Gary C. - Google Review
“He fights for his clients like no one I have ever seen”
David Maletta is the absolute best trial attorney in the state of Arizona. He is a kind, emphatic, and extremely patient person. As an attorney, he is prepared, aggressive, and extremely skilled. He is not afraid to go to trial and fight for his clients, like other attorneys that just plead their clients to the original charges. When he is in trial, he flips a switch and goes from a nice guy to a killing machine. He fights for his clients like no one I have ever seen. Watching him do a cross-examination is exhilarating because he is so good it’s scary.
Patricia Bevins - Google Review
“Listens to every request that you make on a case”
I honestly just want to let it be known to any and everyone looking for an attorney on a case. Whether it be DUI, possession, or your every day to day traffic violations where you need representation attorney Tim Hintze is your man. You have to respect a man that listens to every request that you make on a case and he gets in there and gets it done. Tim has my respect as an attorney and being a well-rounded representer. From him being honest on the possibility and options for your case to him being easy to work and communicate with via over the phone or face to face Mr. Hintze is working it out.
Ben - AVVO Review
“This was the best possible outcome, great price, and fast.”
Darin helped me with a complex family law issue involving ownership of multiple businesses and other assets. He was able to structure a win-win that wasn’t only better than I thought was possible but that protected the business I had built. Above and beyond that, he did it with great customer service and character – which really matters to me. This was the best possible outcome, great price, and fast.
David R. - Google Review
“The calm in the middle of my storm…”
I recently consulted with Darin after my wife filed for divorce. He was referred to me by a friend whom I very much trust. Darin was the antithesis of the first two attorneys I consulted (who were matter-of-fact and had very little empathy about the fact that I was struggling emotionally with what was transpiring). From the first few minutes of speaking with Darin, it was obvious that he was very knowledgeable and skilled with divorce and family matters. While that was most important to me, the thing that made the difference was his calming, logical, and empathetic approach. He took the time to listen and empathize with me. He took the time to understand what I wanted to achieve through this process and laid out my options. After the consultation, I knew he would be my attorney if I had to pull the trigger. I, ultimately, didn’t have to engage Darin’s services due to a reconciliation with my wife. I hope I never have to go through that process again. However, if I do, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt who I will be hiring to represent me…Darin R. Colburn. Darin, thank you for caring and being more than an attorney.
Frank - AVVO Review
“Because of Darin I got my daughter back”
Before I hired Darin I went through a total of 3 different attorneys in two different states fighting a jurisdiction battle, when my daughter was taken to a different state. It was a very difficult decision to switch attorneys at one of the most difficult, time sensitive and important times in my case, but I’m very glad I did. Upon receiving my file from previous attorneys Darin came very familiar with my case quickly. Like other people have explained he took the time to lay everything out and explain how the process was going to proceed and what to expect and continued to do this as new issues arrived. He is also very quick at responding to emails and phone calls. My case was getting close to trial as told by my previous attorneys, I did not want to go to trial as I know this is very costly (most attorneys will convince you that you need to.) Darin knew my situation, fought for what was right and got the results I wanted while avoiding a costly trial. He is extremely knowledgeable in the Child Support Guidelines as well. Because of Darin I got my daughter back. I would highly recommend him and would hire again for any future issues. Thanks Darin!
Chris - AVVO Review
“I would give them more stars, but the option is not there”
Best divorce lawyers in Arizona, hands down. Timothy Hintz handled my divorce, and as a father, I have my son and our house. I would give them more stars, but the option is not there. His paralegal Jennifer Bone is extremely competent, and the whole team is very friendly. Took a big weight off, having them behind me.
Joseph A. - Google Review
“I was found NOT GUILTY. Dave won the trial for me.”
Dave stayed with me while he pushed back and forth with Covid-19 and the delays with court. Once cited, the state basically decides that you’re guilty through the automatic suspension of your drivers license. Dave immediately took care of that problem and I never lost the privilege of driving. Dave took notes like crazy and was upfront about our uphill battle. I was also well aware that the plea deal that was given to us, was unacceptable and through Dave’s knowledge and experience I had put my trust in him to guide me to make the right decision on how to proceed. With Dave’s guidance I had decided that we needed to fight for something better than what the prosecutor was offering and Dave was 100 percent behind me on that decision. We knew the risks, be we also knew we had very little to lose based on the prosecutions stance. We decided to go to trial… Watching the prosecution and then watching Dave was night and day!! It was clear to the jury that the prosecution didn’t have their facts straight and were not addressing the facts that they could not address…There was a lot at stake for my personal life and my work life. I was found NOT GUILTY. Dave won the trial for me.
Gregory - AVVO Review
“David was relentless in his pursuit of my son’s innocence”
We retained David Maletta to represent our son after being cited for what can only be described as a momentary lapse of reason. David was extremely knowledgeable, was able to clearly communicate very complicated concepts, and was relentless in his pursuit of my son’s innocence. He had strong relationships with the prosecuting attorney and respect of the judge, which ultimately resulted in my son learning a really hard lesson with limited consequences (traffic school and writing an essay to the judge on the physics of driving 130MPH and what happens if that goes badly). I have already sent all of my friends with teenage and 20 year old kids his contact information for when they inevitably get that call. David completely exceeded all of our expectations and we could not recommend him any stronger. Thank you for everything.
Shawn H. - Google Review
“Tim was absolutely amazing and worked diligently”
I had an incident and was given the catch-all charge. There wasn’t really anything I could do by myself to get out of it. Tim was absolutely amazing and worked diligently to ensure that I would have the best possible outcome from my case. Which he successfully achieved! As of right now, I am on the path to having my case fully dismissed. A couple of things that really helped me through this process was that Tim did an amazing job at answering my questions. He was available almost anytime and would respond promptly when he got my emails. He was also very approachable and comforting to be around while we had in person meetings and especially when I was at the court house. I would trust him and the company he works for with any other cases in the future, and as of right now, they will be my first choice if I need a lawyer in the future.
Dylan - AVVO Review
“Responsive, sympathetic, professional, patient, and kind.”
On one of the worst and most surreal nights of my life (do not EVER get a DUI people!) I was lucky enough to find my way to Tim Hintze. Being in Phoenix for the Thanksgiving holiday from out of town, and after spending the evening with family, I ended up spending the night in jail.
Tim turned one of the worst experiences in my life into “it could have been so much worse!” Working with him from a different state, he covered the bases & paperwork, showed up for me in court, gave me numerous connections to muck my way through the system, and held my hand the whole way.
I cannot imagine how much worse this experience could have been, and thanks to Tim, I didn’t need to. He was responsive, sympathetic, professional, patient, and kind throughout the long process, drawn out by many months due to Covid.
Keep Tim’s number handy and in your contacts in the event you are ever in the sorry position to need a DUI lawyer!